Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Lady in the Van

Movie: The Lady in the Van
When: 7:30 PM, Tuesday, March 22
Who With: JL
Movie Count: 22
Snacks: Dino Cafe Apparently their last FB post was in 2012.  I got the gumbolaya for the first time and JL got the brisket po boy. Both were great and followed our traditional orders - me getting something stew-ish and JL going for the sammy.

Reaction: Maggie Smith maggiesmiths her way through this movie with all the defensiveness layered on top of sass, on top of snark, on top of vulnerability that you come to expect from her but also surprises you with her depth. I think I first met Maggie Smith in Hook. She stays with you through it all, doesn't she?

This story speaks to the shared humanity and individual dichotomies with which we all get through life. There's an interesting character device in the non-caring carer that expands the movie beyond what you may expect from the trailer. I read that there are plenty of Brit cameos throughout; the only one I spotted from across the pond being James Cordon.

Recommendation: Let’s Go! | Let it come to you  | Let it pass
Next Up: Anomolisa

No comments:

Post a Comment